When John Lewis,
a planter from eastern VA, built this store in 1749, a
consumer revolution was dawning. He set his younger son,
Fielding Lewis, up as a shopkeeper here.
• Fielding Lewis
inherited the store and other considerable wealth in
1754 not long after he married George
Washington's sister, Betty.
• In 1808, a complete
second story was added; in 1820, the store was converted
into a residence.
• HFFI (Historic
Fredericksburg Foundation Inc.) restored this building
to its 1828 configuration at a cost of near $800,000 and
made the site its headquarters.